A Slip Knot is the very first thing to do and learn before one is able to crochet or make a chain.
There are lots of ways to make a slip knot. But what is important, is that it should be knotted well so that you can proceed with your foundation and it should not unravel easily.
1. Find a flat surface to lay down your yarn and have a length enough to make the slip knot. A working length of a yarn has two ends: 1. tail end and 2. ball end. ( See figure below).You are going to make a pretzel like shape with your yarn.
2. Grab the tail end and over lap it on the yarn on the ball end side as shown in the figure below.
3. Next is, you are going to under lap the tail end of the yarn to the “circle shape” that is formed previously. (See figure below).
4. Take the appropriate hook and get the portion of the yarn as shown in the photo below.
5. Continue to pull up the yarn with the hook by holding down the ball end and tail end of your working length.
6. Next is pull apart the tail and and the ball end of your working length for the knot to be smaller until it will wrap around the hook.
7. Make sure to have at least 2-3 inches dangling tail end from the slip knot to have an adequate length to weave through after your project is finish.